Tuesday, February 13, 2007

WORD OF MOUF

Word of Mouth is one of the most important ways of getting information around. Especially to those who you are in constant contact with, such as your friends.
I believe that word of mouth started everything that is widely known around the world. As Conversations stated "AIM started on the expectation of word of mouth." Without word of mouth there would be no AIM which is widely used around the world. AIM has been one of the many networking tools that is commonly used in today's society. I would also say that AIM is a type of personal blog that is simply responded to instantly.
Blogging has been made popular with the help of word of mouth. With help through friends, family and coworkers they have been able to pass along the idea of blogging to the people who they constantly interact with. Conversations says that the people who you interact with constantly, mainly your friends and family, you listen to them the most and are very influenced by those people. So that is how word of mouth takes take into affect.
Word of mouth is marketing and has been a good asset to blogging.

3 comments:

Ich bin Berliner said...

Luda, you make a good point--without word of mouth, facebook certainly wouldn't have become as popular as it has. I also remember when I first used blogs as a public journal (way back in high school!) I shared it with my friends via word of mouth. Many of them also created blogs and shared them with me. By telling my friends about blogging, I created a small blog circle.

Also, when you're going out somewhere, don't you usually talk to whomever you're meeting up with? I don't know that I'd consider AIM a blog but it's used to facilitate face-to-face social interactions. I'm not sure blogs are used in a similar way. But going back to blogging, without the word of mouth advertising of these blogs, most people wouldn't find them or use them. Without Professor Melander telling us about the corporate blogs, I wouldn't have ever found (or considered looking for) Google's corporate blog.

管理者 said...

Since George mentioned word-of-mouth and Facebook, I want to write about Mixi. Mixi(It is derived from "mix I") is SNS in Japan. One interesting thing is that "mixi is an invitation-only service, meaning that one can only join via an invitation from a current member of the service."(Wiki). Therefore, word-of-mouth is necessary for mixi to increase the number of its member. It now has more than 5.7 million members. It may be one of the stories that shows the impact of word-of-mouth.
By the way, I've never imagined that Wiki knows mixi. Wiki is awesome!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixi

leibneritec said...

I have to agree with george's comment AIM can not be considered a blog...In my eyes a blog needs to be shared between more then the two people habving the convo...As you compared this to word of mouth who is getting there word out and who are they getting it out to...Word of mouth is very big like you said and needs to be looked into more...Blogs and other products have grown so big with word of mouth...Look at GMAIL when it first came out only people with invations can get it and todays its so big