Tuesday, February 27, 2007

LIVING A DOUBLE LIFE!!! What's does ur REP mean to U???

Should people have to be careful on what they put on their own web page, even if it has special privacy settings?

I don't think so, but we all have to be careful now.

Internet reputations are being built through our sites on myspace and facebook. Reputations which could eventually cause us a good job. And that's just because we thought we were safe behind those 'privacy settings.'

Most recently employers such as government agencies, are getting around such things as the 'privacy settings' on our myspace and facebook accounts. They are getting around that by hiring hackers to break the codes and find out that information about you that you want only your friends to know and see. These sort of things are being considered important for background check procedures in a security clearance at any one of the government agencies.

I don't think we should have to worry about such things. I feel as if it is invasion of privacy. I mean if you have your pages set to public, then that is your deal. I don't have anything to hide, but I also have to protect my information from reaching the wrong hands(i.e. stalkers-ex boyfriends and the like, lol) The only thing I'm saying is I don't want to be judged by my employer just because I like to party or go out a lot. That doesn't necessarily make me an irresponsible person and it also doesn't mean that I don't like work work or I can't be serious.

Reputations are not easily made. But they are easily broken down. When this happens it is extremely difficult to clean it up or make it better. Your reputation is very important!! Believe it or not. You may not think that you are being judged, but you are and that is how people build and destroy reputations, by judging others or even yourself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, if you have privacy settings on your webpage or facebook or myspace, than why should the company care what you say? Its not like you are going to show them in a bad light, in fact I think that you are using good judgement and showing responsibility when not you have set up security around your pages. An employer should take that into more consideration than what you have on that page.

ilovedcblog said...

Obviously this sort of employer doesn't care about the settings. Stephanie

管理者 said...

Me too. I don't want to be judged by my employer just because I like to party or sometimes do something stupid. If they really hire hackers to find something we don't intend to show, it is completely illegal and should not be allowed. But we have to accept the reality and suppose that they do it. The best thing we can do is to suppose that every information we put on Web can be accessed by anyone, regardless of your "privacy settings".